<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 05, 2003

Train Hell, Fantasy Football
Despite the best efforts of Connex South-Eastern, I was a mere ¾ hour late home last night.
The previous night some passengers were trapped on a Connex train on my line for 3½ hours 500 yards from a station. Connex really is fucked up, but I don't want to go on about it because it makes me too gloomy.

So I was only 5 minutes late for 5-a-side football last night, and played a blinder. Highlights were
1). a mazey dribble down the right, past two players and hammered home past the helpless 'keeper - the crowd (in my head) went wild.
2). Opposing goalie, Tonino Grande, attempted to dribble past me out of his goal, but we collided with a huge impact, the ball flew up in the air, as it came down I got a head to it (as Brian Moore would have said) and nodded it over the stranded Tonino for a rare headed goal (unusual for indoor 5-a-side).
To be fair Tonino probably could have strolled back and stopped the ball before it reached the net, but in a rare sporting gesture he paused to check that I wasn't injured - sucker! haha! goal!.

Garth Crooks caught up with me in the tunnel later...
GC - "Goals, a strong midfield presence and some cool goalkeeping, you must be pleased Angelo"
Angelo del Fuego - "Yes Garth, very pleased, it was an outstanding performance all round, amazing goals, great skill"
GC - "...a good team effort"
AdF - "well, to be fair Garth, it's a team game, but I was incredible tonight, the boys would have been lost without me"
GC -"...er, all credit to the opposition then? "
AdF - "no, not really Garth, all credit to me"
GC (regaining composure) - "You must have been slightly disappointed that despite leading by 5 or 6 clear goals all the way through the game, that you finally lost on the controversial, 'Next Goal Wins' rule"
AdF - "The result was unimportant Garth, it was how I performed that counts and I Rocked"
GC - "You arrogant Fucker"
AdF - "Cheers, Garth"

JimmyTalking of Footballing Legends, I met the Great Jimmy Greaves this week. He was signing copies of his new autobiography. I'm not generally too bothered about autographs but I was happy to get his and shake his hand. He's looking very fit and well.
He was an incredible player, he scored 357 goals in 516 league games, scoring on every debut he made and getting 44 goals in 57 games for England (for whom he scored four in a game twice, as well as three hat-tricks).
He would surely have been in the World Cup Final winning team of 1966 if he hadn't been injured. When he was a junior at Chelsea, he once scored 7 in a game and the first team Manager, Ted Drake, told him to savour the feeling as it was a once in a career experience. Of course Jimmy went out and scored 8 the next game.
What a guy!