<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 02, 2003

Bongo jazz a speciality
I'm not a fan of jazz - in fact it's rubbish really isn't it? however there's an interesting interview with Courtney Pine in todays Metro.
He's had two albums in the Top 40 - unheard of for a jazz musician. He's Britain's number one-selling jazz artist and nobody wants to give him a record deal.
"Take this whole 'urban' thing now. That's what they call it because they don't want to call it 'black' music". Record Companies can't sell him because he's black? They're not really very good at their jobs are they?
Metro asks him, "MP3s. Killing music?"
"No! Killing record companies. For years, out of a CD selling for £15, the artist has been getting 70p if they're lucky. So now that artists can bypass that, it can only be better. Hopefully the punters out there will realise what's going on. If you're not going to buy my album and download it from the Internet, come to my gig and support me then."
I like Courtney, he talks sense. Maybe I'll try one of his gigs?