<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 17, 2003

Hope you like my new direction.
DeborahI saw some of Top of the Pops this evening for the first time in months. These are the things that occurred to me...
1). Deborah Harry still makes me feel the way she did when I was 17 and this is a good thing.
2). Kylie still looks like she's playing "dressing-up" with her mum's clothes.
3). She's looking a bit like a cut down version of Jerry Hall, this is a bad thing.
4). Deborah is dead sexy, Kylie isn't, neither is Sharleen out of Texas, but she's sexier than Kylie.
5). I didn't notice what any of their songs were like.
6). The Stroke's Tron-style video is great.
6). Black Eyed Peas are still number one. They were playing 'live' (to some or other extent). The song is actually very good.
7). In the old days the TOTPs cameramen were always trying to look up the skirts or down the cleavages of female performers - these days they are trying not to show too much, and this isn't easy for them. Kylie's dancers had their arses hanging out and the cameramen "hardly knew where to look".

I like looking at women - they're great, but even I am getting a bit pissed off with the extent to which female singers are parading themselves or being encouraged to parade themselves. Everyone has a "Sexy New Image" - Rachel Stevens, Emma, Kylie, Britney, Louise, Sugarbabes, Beyonce...
It's getting embarrassing - where will they draw the line - On CBBC's Chart Show, when Konnie Huq said "Will Beyonce and Jay-Z enter straight in at Number one" I thought they probably will. They'll just be fucking. As it was when the video came on Beyonce seemed to settle for some light masturbation. (This is on "Children's BBC" remember) I wondered what her parents must think?"
then I remembered - her father is her manager!
Maybe I'm just getting too old, but I still like a little subtly and it all seems so cynical and unimaginative.