<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 10, 2003

So what exactly is 'lucky'?
she wouldn't model the shortsThursday night is my 5-a-side football night. I've missed the last two weeks owing to family illness and confusion, respectively. When I last played, I made the exciting discovery that I had a 'lucky' T-shirt
that enabled me to play beyond my natural ability. This is fortunate as my natural ability is nothing to write home about.
Being the contrary character that I am, I decided to test this theory by wearing my unlucky shirt (last season's yellow and blue Chelsea away shirt (modelled left by the gorgeous Meredith)), coupled with my very unlucky light blue shorts, but countered with my favourite yellow and blue hooped socks.
As you can probably imagine this is a pretty lurid get-up. However, against all expectations I played rather well - scoring an excellent (oh, how kind of you to say) volley and the deciding winning goal.
I was puzzled until I thought about what had actually happened this evening. I had played well, but also at one point I had been paralyzed in a heap on the floor following the unconventional method (sadly neglected in the professional game) of saving a fierce shot using only my groin to stop the speeding football.
I also had a huge purple bruise on my shin from when I had deftly slipped the ball past an opponent only to feel the full force of his hacking boot chopping me down.
So I've decided this lucky/unlucky business is a bit more complex than I had at first thought. Next week I'll try wearing my lucky shin-pads, assuming of course, that my testicles have returned to a managable size thus allowing me to take part at all.