<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 22, 2003

England Win the World Cup.
Jonny Wilkinson - what a guy!Congratulations to the England Rugby team! for their brilliant 20-17 victory over Australia today.
I can't claim to have ever been a huge rugby fan. I was forced to play it for years at school. I was never any good and so our games were always 4th team type affairs.
It was hell. It was always cold and raining, no one knew what was going on or what the rules were. It was a free for all, a chance to sort out grudges and generally put the boot in.
I was always in the scrum - more excuses for getting bashed. If by chance you got the ball, the trick was to get rid of it as soon as possible before someone crushed you.
It was rarely handled, just kick it, chase and jump on the poor bastard who got to it first - bundle. When it was finally over there was the usual communal shower humiliation for all (except for Nigel Hague (real name) and his magnificent cock).

My brother was a big rugby fan so I ended up watching a fair amount of saturday afternoon T.V. coverage over the years, but I never waivered from my first love of Football.
However, bloody hell! Today I couldn't help myself - The World Cup Final, in Australia, against the Aussies. Fantastic stuff. Even as someone with limited experience I realise it wasn't a classic match but these guys are amazing. Jonny Wilkinson, Martin Johnson, Jason Robinson, Lawrence Dallaglio, the whole squad and manager Clive Woodward - True heroes.
They're getting smashed to pieces, they just get up and get on with it. As a football fan it makes me embarrassed to think to the diving, rolling around and amateur dramatics the players get up to as soon as someone gets within a couple of yards of them, the constant moaning at the officials and attempts to get the opposition booked or sent off.
The rugby players appear to respect the officials and their opponents. The Referees are mic-ed up so you can hear what they're saying to the players and you can understand why they make the decisions they do - even if they are wrong, you can understand why they do what they do - unlike football referees.
There are articles everywhere about what football can learn from rugby - I think it may be too late, but I reckon that rugby at all levels will get a huge boost from this victory - I hope so.
I'm converted.
[photo - BBC Sport]