<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 09, 2004

Things I've noticed from watching TV recently. (Part 1)
The Lovely AmandaThe BBC would very much like to repeat the success of their sitcom, "My Family" - the one with Wolfie Smith and the lovely pixie - Zöe Wanamaker. The first time I saw "My Family" I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever seen on television.
However, the kids kept watching it and I kept laughing so I had to revise my opinion. Also another sitcom turned up called something like "My Family" starring Jasper Carrot and a handicapped chap in a wheelchair. It's all very earnest and lovely, but it's rubbish and Jasper can't act. At all.
So now the beeb have come up with "Mad About Alice". There are good things about this programme and there are bad things about this programme.
The good things are John Gordon Sinclair and Amanda Holden, the bad things are everything else. John Gordon Sinclair used to be called Gordon John Sinclair or John Sinclair Gordon. The script is appalling, but John/Gordon is pretty good whatever he's in.
Amanda Holden! I know everyone seems to hate Amanda after she was so nasty to Les Dennis, but fuck it. Amanda's gorgeous. The makers of "Mad about Alice" also know this. This is why every episode they make her appear in her underwear or nightclothes or her pink velour jogging suit. Ahh!
Jamie Theakston plays her ex-husband. Not very well. Did I say that the script is appalling? It is.
The most incredible bit about the whole show is the theme tune, which appears to be "sung" by Theakston and the lovely Amanda. It's unbelievably awful. A horrible racket. Ghastly ear-torture. It's like the sound you get when you're bashing your cat with a tennis racket.
It's actually worth catching the start of the show, even if you hate Amanda, just to hear the theme tune - you'll be amazed that the beeb allows it.
Amanda Holden is also great in "Cutting It", but she isn't on screen enough. The main problem with "Mad About Alice" is that Mrs del Fuego turns it over whenever it comes on because it's so bad. (She watches Holby City without protest though, which sort of proves how truly grim "MAA" is)
My argument that it's worth watching purely for the beauty of Amanda is unlikely to be well received, so I keep quiet and wait for "Footballers' Wives" which returns this week.
Now that's a show worthy of Ms Holden's talents.