<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 22, 2004

Kings of the King's Road
Ossie, 'Chopper' Harris and HudsonOk, so there is one redeeming feature to working in Canary Wharf - Books etc have some good signings. Yesterday three of my childhood heroes were signing copies of a book about Chelsea Football Club in the 1970's, 'Kings of the King's Road'.
So I got to meet and shake hands with Peter Osgood, Ron 'Chopper' Harris and Alan Hudson. Well, I say meet, I fact I mumbled at them and grinned stupidly at Ossie without being about to talk. They signed my book. It was especially good to see Alan Hudson looking fit and well considering the terrible injuries he suffered a few years back after being hit by a car.

These were great players - they're partly responsible for my love of football. When they won the F.A.Cup Final (replay) in 1970, (actually Hudson was injured and couldn't play) I had to watch at our neighbours, the Murray's, because my brother and sister supported Leeds (for unknown reasons) and the first game had caused too many arguments in our house.

Mickey Murray had made me to support Chelsea some months earlier, partly as he wore a Chelsea shirt with Mickey Mouse on the front, while we played football on the road. He was very cool (still is actually).
I bought the book and demonstrated my ability to name any of the players photographed to amazed and admiring colleagues (I'm certain they must have been impressed) - I probably couldn't name all the current squad.
I played 5-a-side last night and inspired by my heroes I played brilliantly. Brilliantly that is apart for one comedy goal I let in that was more Gary Sprake than Peter 'The Cat' Bonetti.

Comments: Post a Comment