<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Bad Sex Award
"US author Tom Wolfe has been given the Bad Sex in Fiction Award for awkward descriptions of intimate encounters in his novel I am Charlotte Simmons".

One of his passages included the line: "...moan moan moan moan moan..."
Now I'm no writer, but I reckon I could beat that.

I've never read any Tom Wolfe, he certainly has some critics. When asked if he disliked Wolfe because of his popularity John Irving said, "I’m not using that argument against him. I’m using the argument against him that he can’t write … It’s like reading a bad newspaper or a bad piece in a magazine. It makes you wince." He added that on any page of any Tom Wolfe book, he could "read a sentence that would make me gag."

Personally I think he could learn a bit from Nicholson Baker.

Some people seem to have a special talent for writing bad sex scenes - Wendy Perriam has been nominated four times and won in 2002. [Hey Alistair, can't you give her some tips?]

I realise that these authors are not always trying to be serious and I've had enough terrible sex to know that it's not always the way we'd like it to be in reality.
I've completely lost the thread now...I was thinking about all that terrible sex and the great sex...oh...moan moan moan...

Comments: Post a Comment